Monday, July 4, 2011

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King


Time to catch up on my movie notes. Last week I saw the final installment of the NCM Fathom's presentation of Lord of the Rings. This is the first time I have seen the extended version of The Return of the King and I can say, without a doubt, even at almost four hours long, it is a better film. I understand the restraints of not being able to release films that 240 minutes long, but by extending the three films director Peter Jackson has created a truly epic masterpiece. The added footage adds nuances and depth of character that were missing from the shorter films. The Two Towers is a much better film because of the added footage and to be honest I was so engaged with Return of the King I could not tell you what was original and what was added. Nothing felt out of place. The flow of the narrative was so smooth that it felt as if the movie was always assembled this way.

If you missed seeing these three great films in their theatrical debut this month I highly recommend you go out and purchase the newly released Blu-ray versions immediately.

At The Movie House rating - LOTR: Return of the King **** stars.

No comments: