Sunday, February 26, 2012

84th Annual Academy Awards






































Once again it's time for the Academy Awards, the Super-Bowl for movie buffs. Tonight's front runner is the B&W, silent film The Artist, which is highly entertaining. But it's essentially the same story that was told in A Star Is Born or Singin' In The Rain. The performances are great and it might just win, but like many past Best Picture Oscars it will go to the wrong film.

This year the Oscar deserves to go to either The Descendants, a deeply moving human story starring George Clooney or Hugo, Martin Scorsese's 3D love letter to the magic of movies. I would be happy if either picture one, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Hugo because it took me completely by surprise when I saw it.

No comments: