Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hugo 3D


Hugo surprised me. I had no expectations for the film and I was not expecting to leave the theatre magically transformed after seeing what turned out to be one of the best movies of the year. The Academy also thinks it is one of the best  because they honored recently it with 11 Oscar nominations.

I had very little advance knowledge of the film. I had seen the trailer and I knew it was directed by Martin Scorsese so I thought it would probably be good. I knew it involved a boy who lived in a train station in Paris and that it had something to do with a mechanical man. But other than that, I knew nothing. I assumed the mechanical man was named Hugo ( I was wrong) and I assumed it was an escapist, magical, fantasy film (well it is, but not in the way I thought). I also knew it was in 3D. Now I am not a 3D hater. In the right hands and on the right film it can be a fun movie going experience. I knew that Scorsese had a special affinity for 3D so that alone was enough to get me to go see the movie and see how one of the great master's of film making would use this technology.

 I love movies and I love going to the movies and Hugo captured everything about the art of movie making that makes it magical. I don't want to give away any details about the movie. The story is about a boy who lives in a Paris train station.  He crosses paths with a toy merchant, played by Ben Kingsley who runs a small toy shop in the station and the two learn they have something in common. I don't want to give away any more of the story than that because Hugo should be a fresh discovery for everyone who watches it.

Scorsese master's 3D in a way that makes for beautiful and sometimes stunning images. Howard Shore provides a score both playful and evocative. Hugo is a delight not to be missed.

Rating Hugo ****stars

No comments: