Friday, August 13, 2010

365+ movies in 365 Days: Day 104 - The Wizard Of Oz

71 years ago, on August 12, 1939, in a small town in Wisconsin, The Wizard Of Oz premiered at the Strand Theatre. Three days later it opened at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and on August 17th it opened at the Loews's Capitol in NYC. It received both critical and popular acclaim and was nominated for multiple Oscars. Because of annual telecasts that began in 1956, The Library of Congress has declared The Wizard Of Oz to be the most watched film in history.

I watched the film every year growing up. I have seen it on VHS and laser disc and I went to a theatrical re-release in 1989 to celebrate it's 50th Anniversary. But until tonight, when I sat down to watch it on Blu-Ray on my high def TV, I had never really seen the film. The film is so vivid. The sepia tones in the Kansas section has crisp lines and shadows, and in OZ everything is more brilliant and has more sparkle than ever before. The ruby slippers are redder, the yellow brick road yellower and Oz itself is greener than ever.


It is a fabulous movie that never fails to entertain. After 71 years the make -up and the special effects, especially the tornado, hold up well and it was all done without the aid of computers. The film has so many memorable moments, from Judy singing the wistful song, Over The Rainbow, to the wicked witch dispatching her army of flying monkeys. The script is sharp, with many iconic lines:

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore"
"I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too"
"Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"
"There's no place like home"

The film will continue to delight audiences young and old for generations to come.

At The Movie House rating **** stars

note - the book the film is based on, The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz, is celebrating it's 110th Anniversary this year. It was origianlly published on May 17, 1900.

No comments: