Sunday, August 22, 2010

365+ movies in 365 Days: Day 113 - Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

Scott Pilgrim is essentially a comic book on film. It's the first time that I ever felt a movie recreated the actual comic book experience on the big screen. The film stars Micheal Cera as Scott Pilgrim, who does what he always does, playing a shy, mousy dweeb, but nobody does it better. Scott falls for the new, cool girl in town Ramona. Unfortunately Ramona comes with baggage, seven exes that Micheal must battle in video game style smack downs.

The movie is based on a series of graphic novels I had never heard of and I could tell I was not the films target audience. But I found myself enjoying it immensely. The movie knows when to be hip and when to mock itself and the visual style is amazing. It captures the coolness factor Speed Racer failed to get two years ago. The film is a little long and becomes repetitious. It could have used two less evil ex-boyfriends.

This film is not for everyone. The generation that grew up on MTV and Nintendo will love it. Others may wonder what it's all about, but if it speaks to you, it will make you laugh.

At the Movie House rating ***stars

1 comment:

David Aaron Hahn said...

I love your summary: "...could use two less evil boyfriends.: :)