Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I Love Movies

I love movies. I love watching them and talking about them. I love going to the movies. I enjoy the entire movie going experience (except the jerks who talk and use their cell phones). I love the excitment and anticipation while waiting in line for a new release.

I have been in love with movies all my life and the purpose of this blog is to share that love, and celebrate the art of filmaking and the movie going experience from a lifelong, dedicated enthusiasts.

My earliest movie going memory is from 1964. My mom, my Aunt Anna and and Mrs. Lambkin took me, my brother, my cousins and my friends to see Mary Poppins, at the Brook Theatre in Brooklyn. The only part of the film I remembered as a kid was the animation sequence in the middle.



If you want to read more about the Brook go here:
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/3861/

To this day Mary Poppins is still one of my favorite films. I saw it for a second time, in 1972, at the Jerry Lewis Twin, in Masspaequa. I remember watching it with the sense that it was new, yet I had seen it all before.

Before home video movies were frequently released to theatres for years after their initial run.
Disney used to re-release their animated films to theatres every seven years or so. And in the past twenty years you could always count on a theatrical release before the home video release. Unfortunatelt they have discontinued that practice so most kids see Bambi, Snow White, Cinderella and other Disney classics on DVD instead of at a movie house.

Here is a movie ad from 1975 featuring the release of some Disney classics.

Mary Poppins began a life long love of movies that continues today. I hope you'll follow me as I discuss new films and reminice about movies of the past.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a nice blog, I enjoyed reading of your experiences. One of my earliest and best movie experiences was when I saw the Blue Max with my brother Mike. I believe it was at the Marine...We sat on the lower level in the back and I distinctly remember during the entire film a shower of popcorn, candy and papers cascading from the balcony. You could see it all like sillouettes on the screen...It was a good laugh...My first movie was the Sword and the Stone...My favorite movie of all time that I saw in the movies is a tie between Patton and The French Connection. Both films had to be seen in the theater to be appreciated. Everyone knows of course, the biggest rip off in Hollywood history was when Shakespeare in Heat won the Oscar over Saving Pvt Ryan....This scandal was almost outdone when the movie Crash was even nominated and then won Best Picture...Hollywood is clearly run by total asses...Thank heavens for the Independents. I'll be back

Joe Fitzpatrick said...

The Blue Max, that explains all the WWI model airplanes. Youw ere probably 8 when you saw the movie. I think we went to a lot of movies meant for older audiences.

We saw Patton and The French Connection at the Pequa.

Sorry the biggest rip-off happened to Spielberg in 1981 when Chariots Of Fire beat Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Mike said...

Hey, don't I know you two guys????