Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The theatres of my youth - the Brooklyn Years




I already mentioned the Brook Theatre where I saw Mary Poppins. The other theatre I would go to when I was a kid was the Marine. It was located directly around the corner from the Brook on Flatbush Avenue. I can not recall most of the movies I saw in these theatres but I do remember two of them. One was Planet of the Apes and the other was Around The World in 80 Days.
Both theatres closed in 1980 and the Marine was demolished while the Brook was gutted and converted for office use. The building currently stands empty on Flatlands Avenue.

The Brook Theatre building - March 2010

The only other movie experience I distinctly remember from Brooklyn was walking to the Graham Theatre in Gerritsen Beach to see Ice Station Zebra. I went with my brother and his friends. I was 8 years old and thought it was the coolest thing ever.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived across the street from the Graham Theater and now I live in Santa Monica. I remember seeing many movies at that theater, one as far back as the early 60's:
LAD: A DOG. Thanks for the pics. Howie M.

Anonymous said...

I saw Day of the Triffids and Village of the Dammed at the Graham. We stole the marquis letters and spelled out our names in our bedrooms. We dropped a smoke bomb into the ticket seller's booth and ran in. Also saw Prime of Miss Jean Brodie there, Batman serials and Planet of the Apes there. Would love to see a photo of that overhanging marquis.
Mark
Los Feliz, CA.

Unknown said...

Saw west side story there and a hard day's night.

tellamc said...

tellamc com - surveymayor.com
AMC Theatres has all the way set their step and boots tied for the marathon of accumulating a higher number of feedbacks, reactions from their customers. There will be a number of questions asked during the www.tellamc.com survey regarding your interests, your visits, your judgements, and your reactions towards the staff at AMC firms. As a company, AMC Theatres need to endeavour its consumers the best valid experience with good memories that can reflect on the surveys.