Friday, April 30, 2010

movie recommendations


Because I watch so many movies I am frequently asked to recommend films to others. When recommending a film I try to keep the taste of the person whose asking in mind. For instance I would not recommend "Pulp Fiction" to my mom. But sometimes my recommendations don't go over so well and I find myself in a heated debate about why the movie I recommended sucked.

Speaking of movies I recommend to my mom, I am always on the lookout for entertaining films that don't overflow with violence and vulgarity and these days that is pretty hard to come by. The simple art of telling a story through film is being lost in an orgy of special effects. One recent movie I did recommend was the romantic comedy "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day"

This British charmer about the reserved and down on her luck Miss Pettigrew and the 24 hours she spends in the presence of the glowing and slightly daffy actress Delysia Lafosse. The film is reminiscent of the screwball comedies of the 30's and 40's with solid performances from all it's stars.

If you haven't seen it you should. Mom gave it two thumbs up.


No comments: