Saturday, June 5, 2010

365+ movies in 365 days: Day 36 - Hoosiers


I have a list of about 30 great movies that I need to see. These are recognized classics, that for one reason or another, I have not gotten around to viewing. part of my 365+ movies in 365 days is to make sure I see these films and cross them off the list. Today I can finally cross off Hoosiers.

I don't know what took me so long to see this film. I am aware of it's reputation as great sports film. I am also a big fan of Gene Hackman. The films been mentioned in the news in regards to Dennis Hopper's death, so when TCM showed it last week I set the Tivo and recorded it. And last night I couldn't sleep so I stayed up and watched it.

What a great film. It completely lived up to it's reputation. Gene Hackman was excellent as the basketball coach with one chance left in life, to coach this small town basketball team. The sincerity in his performance is what holds the movie together. The movie felt so authentic. The recreation of early 50's details, the quiet earnest acting of all the cast members, the underdog spirit of the team, all felt true to life. I knew the basics of the plot going in, but I had no clue how it would turn out, and the key to a great sport's movie is too keep you on the edge of your seat till the final buzzer. Hoosiers does that. The film is a nail biter of suspense. Dennis Hopper was nominated for an Oscar for his role as the town drunk and it was well deserved recognition.
At The Movie House rating **** stars.

No comments: