Monday, May 17, 2010

365+ movies in 365 days: Day 16 - Blazing Saddles

Today I screened Blazing Saddles. Released in 1974, I saw this film at the Pequa Theatre when I was 13 years old.  The movie was a smash hit and Mel Brook's first success since The Producer's in 1968.
From the opening song, to the finale when our heroes ride off into the sunset (in a limousine), the movie is one continuous stream of jokes. It breaks every taboo, from fart jokes to "nigger" jokes, it can find, as it spoofs every western ever made. Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder are stand outs as the leads and Harvey Korman and Madeline Khan are at their comedic best.
At the Movie House rating **** stars

3 comments:

David Aaron Hahn said...

Work! Work! Work! ;)

Joe Fitzpatrick said...

"Pardon me while I whip this out"

David Aaron Hahn said...

In today's politically correct climate, a film that skewers virtually every protected group would have to be made by HBO or Showtime.