Saturday, May 15, 2010

As seen On TV part 3


Besides big budget films and Hollywood classics, there is one other film genre that was a favorite when I was growing up and that was horror movies. As a kid we watched everything from monster movies to ghost stories. Great classics like the Bride Of Frankenstein and schlock like Attack Of The 50ft. Woman. And I loved all of it. Saturday night was the big night for scary movies. Channel 5 had Creature Features, Channel 11 had Chiller Theatre and Channel 9 had Fright Night.






My favorite was probably Creature Features. They showed all the classic horror movies like Frankenstein, Wolfman, The Invisible Man, plus others. They had some sort of contest every week that I remember sending entries to, and after every show the network added the public service announcement "It's 10 PM, do you know where your children are?"

The movies you watch as a kid stay with you forever and, good or bad, here are some of my favorites:

Lookout for the flying brains!!

"Klaatu barasa nikto!"

Very creepy when I was 10!
The sand pit opening up and the music is just one of the coolest things in movies!
This was a favorite.
Loved the twist ending.
Flying saucers invade Washington D.C.!!
Alright, I saw this as an adult and it is the most ridiculously bad movie, but when I was eight I loved it.
I still love this one!
I vividly recall the scene with the rabbit hutches and the monster trying to work it's way through the door to get the little girl and her mother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You left out one of the other great horror movie shows...Supernatural Theater from the early 60's

You still haven't talked about the blinding sensation you got when leaving a theater on a saturday afternoon.

When are you going to talk about war movies...my favorite genre

Anonymous