Sunday, May 2, 2010

365+ movies in 365 days: Day 2 - Iron Man


I chose "Iron Man" to coincide with the movies original release and to prepare for the sequel coming out this Friday. I gotta say, I love this movie. The screenplay is fantastic. It is full of sharp wit and snappy repartee which I always enjoy. There are no lengthy expositions or dialog scenes to explain things. It is a very visual movie. From the opening scenes you are thrust into the action and taken for a ride.

Robert Downey Jr. is the film. When the action strays from him for even a short scene you miss him. He plays the role of Tony Stark perfectly. The supporting cast is great, though I find Terence Howard's performance as Rhodey a bit one note, I'm glad Don Cheadle is taking on the role in IR2. I think he'll bring some humor and personality to the role of Iron Man's side kick.

The great thing about Iron Man is that you can easily suspend your belief. The making of the hero doesn't come from some super power, but from a technologically advanced suit of armour.
The CGI allow you to believe that a genius like Tony Stark could create such a suit.

My only other issue with the film is the final confrontation. There is just something anti-climatic about two guys in metal armour fighting on a freeway. I don't think the ending did the rest of the film justice.

As I mentioned in an earlier post At The Movie House gives the film ***1/2 stars. And we are looking forward to Iron-Man 2 this Friday. It will be one of the biggest hits of the summer.

No comments: